Problems with external ISDN modem and Linux

I have an external 3Com US Robotics ISDN Pro TA and Red Hat Linux 6.1.  I
can get my ISDN modem to dial up and connect with both channels (128k)
using ppp no problem, but the connection is worse than a 56k modem.  If
you ping to/from the box it usually looses 1 packet within the first 20.
I also notice HUGE lag time when ftp'ing files.

When the ISDN TA is used in Windows on a different machine, it works fine.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Justin R. Meats
(217) 221-0664
Internet Partners, Inc.