Re: tulip problems

My roommate has this style of card too.  According to the
documentation that came with the card, you have to use a 2.3.x or
2.4.0-testx kernel to get the card to work properly.  Look on
linksys's website as I believe the Linux README for the cards is
there.

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 02:18:41PM -0400, Jordan Bettis wrote:
> I have a tulip card (Linksys LNE200TX as well as a NE100, both of which
> have the same problem). I couldn't get it to work with the 2.2.12, 2.2.16,
> or 2.2.17 tulip, but I read ethernet-HOWTO that these cards are most
> likely PNIC, not true DEC tulip cards. I went to scyld.com and got it's
> tulip (which had intintagrated support for PNIC, according to it's page on
> scyld.com). It compiled on all three but I couldn't get it to actually
> load on 2.2.17 (missing something and I've given up trying to figure out
> what).
>
> anyhow, tulip loads silently with
> # insmod tulip debug=6
> but cat /proc/interrupts looks like this:
>
>            CPU0
>   0:    1274793          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:      22887          XT-PIC  keyboard
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>   4:     305042          XT-PIC  serial
>   8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
>  10:          0          XT-PIC  es1370
>  12:     108252          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
>  13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
>  14:     935552          XT-PIC  ide0
>  15:      74269          XT-PIC  ide1
> NMI:          0
>
> and cat /proc/ioports looks like this:
>
> 0000-001f : dma1
> 0020-003f : pic1
> 0040-005f : timer
> 0060-006f : keyboard
> 0070-007f : rtc
> 0080-008f : dma page reg
> 00a0-00bf : pic2
> 00c0-00df : dma2
> 00f0-00ff : fpu
> 0170-0177 : ide1
> 01f0-01f7 : ide0
> 02f8-02ff : serial(auto)
> 0376-0376 : ide1
> 03c0-03df : vga+
> 03f6-03f6 : ide0
> 03f8-03ff : serial(auto)
> 1400-143f : es1370
> 1460-1467 : ide0
> 1468-146f : ide1
> c4840000-c484007f : eth0
>
> I got a tulip-diag program from scyld.com that outputs this:
>
> tulip-diag.c:v2.04 9/26/2000 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
>  http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
> Index #1: Found a ADMtek AL985 Centaur-P adapter at 0x1000.
>  Port selection is 100mbps-SYM/PCS 100baseTx scrambler, half-duplex.
>  Transmit stopped, Receive stopped, half-duplex.
>   The Rx process state is 'Stopped'.
>   The Tx process state is 'Stopped'.
>   The transmit threshold is 128.
>  The Comet MAC registers are 10782000 ffffd352 filter 0000000000000000.
>  Use '-a' or '-aa' to show device registers,
>      '-e' to show EEPROM contents, -ee for parsed contents,
>   or '-m' or '-mm' to show MII management registers.
>
> does anyone know what my problem is?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jordan Bettis.
> "Probably the best operating system in the world is the [operating system]
>  made for the PDP-11 by Bell Laboratories." - Ted Nelson, October 1977

Benjamin Story
Windows 95: n. a 32 bit patch to a 16 bit hack to an 8 bit operating system,
        originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, by a 2 bit company
        that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
Windows 98: n. see Windows 95
Windows ME: n. see Windows 95
Windows 2000: n. an attempt by a 2 bit company to put forth a stable version
                 of a 32 bit patch to a 16 bit hack to an 8 bit operating
                 system, originally coded for a 4 bit microporcessor.