weird Apache error

I'm running AIX, I downloaded the apache from the Bull
site and it even though it was a binary made for my
system the conf files and lib directories were all in
the wrong places.  I had to create several logical
links for it to work run at all.

However, I can only get it to run by executing httpd
in the directory.  That is, if I use the full path:
/usr/local/httpd/httpd it complains:

Syntax error on line 65 of
/usr/local/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
"/usr/local/httpd" is not a valid directory.

BUT IT *IS* a valid directory, by golly!  And, it runs
from the directory.  Hmmm... sounds like a typo.  It
*is* pretty early and I haven't had coffee yet...