Re: lsof -i broken

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 06:02:58PM -0600, charles@lunarmedia.net wrote:
> i just recently noticed that running 'lsof -i' returns nothing. i am used
> to seeing return of known ipv4 ports and their associated applications.

Do you mean which connections are currently open? Running netstat -p shows
all currently open connections. If you wish to just see INET4 connections,
you could do:

netstat -p | grep -e ^tcp

If you want to see all of the Well Known Ports of which your computer is aware,
look in /etc/services. I find it really convient to grep /etc/services when
looking for a port, zb:

jordanb@gandalf[~]$ grep smtp /etc/services
smtp		25/tcp		mail
ssmtp		465/tcp				# SMTP over SSL

> running lsof without the -i flag returns output. i can't say exactly when
> the last run with the -i flag was working properly.
>
> any idea what might have wacked this?

lsof isn't part of the debian default install, but it is in apt, so I checked
it out just now. It did show (with the -i) all INET4 connections that
netstat -p shows on my box.

The man page says if one dosen't specify a mask, it will "select the listing
of all Internet and x.25 (HP-UX) network files." I'll go for the obvious,
did you put anything after the -i that it might have mistaken for a mask?
Also, check to see if you acutally have open connections with netstat -p.

Other than that, I have no idea, but I don't know much about lsof and it looks
like a pretty complicated command.

--
Jordan Bettis <http://www.hafd.org/~jordanb/>
The future is a myth created by insurance salesmen and high school counselors.