Re: Tutorial Day?

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 09:21:56PM -0600, Mark Blunier wrote:
> 1)  How /sbin/init, /etc/inittab and /etc/rc*.d/* work

The problem with this is that it is pretty Distro-dependent. So as not
to get too long, it would almost have to become a class on how Red Hat,
or Debian, or Foo handles init scripts.

> 2)  Basic /bin/sh programming

This has already been covered a couple of times, it might not hurt to hit
it again though.

> 3)  Set up a basic IP masquerading system (note, set one up from
> 	scratch, not just show one that works).
> 4)  Demonstrate some if the IDE for c or c++ programming.

Yeah, a class on emacs would be a good idea ;-)

> 5)  Java programming

Hrmm, might be interesting, but Java isn't exactly a natural langauge with
Linux.

> 6)  Perl scripts

We've had a class on this already, and we have a Perl Monguls meeting.

> 7)  Sed scripts
> 8)  Awk Scripts

perhaps add using bc as 8.5

> 9)  Demonstrate setting up Wine, or Dosemu.
> 10) Using TV cards, video compression and DIVX

The rest of these are pretty good, methinks. Here are a few more ideas (for
somebody else to pick apart, presumably):

CGI programming, possibly in a number of different languages such as perl,
python, and C.

LaTeX document processing.

Data structures in C: lists, btree's, hashes, etc.

On the C programming theme: using gdb, with, perhaps a demonstration of ddd
or (of course) the emacs gdb mode.

Administering various servers such as Apache and Postfix (possible tutorial
subjects?). Acutally, I think these would be great subjects as there are
many facets which are realitivly independent of eachother, one can easily
construct a course which covers some topics (like vhosts, for example) while
avoiding others, like directory permissions.

Using SSH as a replacement for rlogin.

Using GPG and PGP.

Using The Gimp.

And a few tutorial suggestions:
	Using RCS and CVS
	Key points for various window managers
	regular expressions
	 on that note, using grep and procmail
	in extension to your #10: using vorbis for audio encoding
	compiling a kernel or seperate kernel modules, perhaps with explanation
 	 of module utilites like insmod and modprobe

--
Jordan Bettis <http://www.hafd.org/~jordanb/>
The Unix Philosophy: Do one thing and do it well.