Hardware Hacking

Are any of you especially skilled w/ hardware?  Specifically, serial (I
think) communications?  I'm trying to figure out how to emulate a CD
changer with my computer (1 guess why), but don't know exactly how to
figure the thing out.

To be more explicit - I've got a Kenwood head unit and a Kenwood CD
changer.  I've also got the schematics for both pieces.  I think that
I can just hook up the head unit up to one serial port and the changer
to the other serial port, and maybe do a pass-through kind of thing
between the two, but I'm not entirely positive how to do it.  I'm
presently leaning towards using Perl with IO::Serial so that I don't
have to figure out how to mess with the port in C.

Anywho, if anyone out there has attempted something like this in any
remote way, I'd appreciate it if they'd gimme some pointers on stuff
like, I dunno, appropriate programs that will already do this for me,
or stuff to watch out for. :)  If someone's already actually done this
project, I'd appreciate a URL. ;)

Thanks,
Danny