Re: Thanks

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 04:19:31PM -0800, Bj Logue wrote:
> I downloaded debian like someone recommended and it seems to be working fine on a ol pentium. I also downloaded an update to my first choice, micronix. I've downloaded rpm and, although it dosen't seem to work all the time and I have to use --nodeps almost all the time and I just used rpm2tgz in the end, I managed to get kde and a bare bones install of gnome.

If you're using rpm on a non-rpm system, you'll find yourself using --nodeps
and --force quite often (unless you use one of the conversion tools like
your rpm2tgz or alien).

> I have a few questions about some gui apps. The first has to do with a gui word processor. What word processor would you recommend?

As I mentioned last night, Abiword is nice.  It's part of the gnome office
project.  Get it at www.abiword.org (or with an install of ximian).  BTW,
you asked about ximian - I forgot about the helixcode name change.  I used
helix a lot earlier, but haven't used gnome for a while.  It's a really nice
system - but kinda challenging to get onto a non-rpm system.  I had to write
a whole set of wrapper scripts to install it into the linux lab I used to
run (Parkland College, if you're curious), 'cause they used the wrong paths
for SuSE.  They've got it fixed now, though, which is good for me - but not
much better for users of micronix et al. :)

> The next is are there any good multiplayer games for Linux? I've ordered Quake 3 for Linux and I hope to get that in 3 weeks, but are there any other good multiplayer games out there?

The doom 'n quake series are about it, actually.  You can get Starcraft to run
under wine (search on google for instructions - I forget where), but I don't
recall where IPX support is at.  A couple of good places to look for other
stuff are linuxgames.com and happypenguin.org

> This is kinda late to ask at 6:00 but can I come to the meeting tonight even though it would be my first and it's not a newbie night?

As I'm sure you've noticed, there's not a real strong distinction between the
newbies and the regular meeting folks - there are a few people there that know
a lot about linux (and hardware/software in general), and a few people there
that know little about linux.  If you've managed to get linux installed on
your own, you're probably welcome at both meetings.  The newbie meetings are
supposed to focus on more beginner topics, like file system negotiation and
basic systems maintenence or software instalations, stuff like that.  They
were started so that the regular meetings could go on with more advanced topics
without having to worry that they'd go over half of the people's heads. :)
Personally, when I was first starting out, I learned a lot just by sitting
in my local user's group meetings and listening.

BTW, if you haven't been to one before, last night was a poor example.  Usually
Steve has something prepared to talk about, and the time isn't filled with so
many awkward silences... :)

I'm trying to get my local high school to let me come in and get a group of
interested kids together so that I can teach them a little about linux, maybe
one day out of the week or something, but so far haven't gotten anywhere.
It gives me a little hope seeing that some kids elsewhere are managing to
teach themselves. :)

Later,
Danny