Re: max os x

Charles:

If they do release an intel version, I'm presuming that it'll lack a lot of
the polish seen in the mac version.. we'll just have to wait and see what
happens.

Compared to other UNIX systems, it's quite good.  The administrative method is
somewhat strange, using something called 'netinfod' and a graphical
administration tool, for things like mail aliases, authentication
(shad/passwd), daemons, etc.

Where I work, we have two MacOSX systems.. one of them is preview release 10,
the other is the commercial release.  The PR10 box has been doing MySQL/PHP
serving for a long time (since mid Jan), with the commercial system installed
a few days ago to replace that task.  Once we upgrade the other, it'll handle
PostgreSQL/PHP.  (all of these being compiled from the source tarballs, of
course. Tres awsome.)

I've just been very pleased with the OS.. it's comfortably graphical with HUGE
potential for commercial applications like all previous MacOS releases, but it
is comfortably UNIX, providing good stability, speed, and the ability for me
to still open a shell, edit a script in vi, and play with it using all of the
commands I'm familiar with from Linux.

</rambling> :)

Mike

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 03:07:31PM -0600, charles@lunarmedia.net wrote:
> i read somewhere on apple's website that there was an initiative to get
> osX running on intel platform machines. has anyone heard about this yet or
> compared osX to another *nix based os?

--Damacus Porteng: damacus@munich.com & damacus@bastion.yi.org
--Webpage: http://bastion.yi.org/~damacus/ (PGP on site)
--IRC: net=irc.galaxynet.org nick=damacus chan=#cronus
--PHP Web Developer, Student, Computer/Linux Geek.