Re: UNIX vs. Unix

It was a fonts thing back on the old old system. It used a small font that
was all caps for smaller letters, rather than uppercase v/s lowercase
ones.

I typically just say Unix for singular or plural. if you look it up in the
dict.org, no plural forms exist.

So, it's a Unix or a UNIX, some Unix or some UNIX :)

-Kara

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Ryan Senior wrote:

> This has been bothering me for a while now,
>

> I was just wondering why some people write Unix as Unix, and others
> write UNIX?  I have seen many times that authors use both even in the
> same paragraph.  I was looking through some O'Reilly books, and they
> seem to use UNIX.  Why is the case different and which one is
> appropriate to use?  I also was wondering what to appropriate plural
> usage of UNIX is, is it Unices or Unixes?
>
> Thanks for helping to clear up confusion,
>
> Ryan

Author, RHCE Exam Cram
Director of Exam Development            http://www.lpi.org/
Site Manager                            http://www.LinuxUsersGroups.org/