mod_auth_mysql

I'm having a hard time getting my apache server to authenticate against
a MySQL database.  There seems to have once been a mod_auth_mysql module,
but the web site is gone, and the garbage code doesn't compile.  It refers
to a missing header file, the makefile doesn't work right, and It seems
to generally frustrate me.  I've found all kinds of articles around that
talk aobut getting it to work, but none of them are right.  I commented
some crap out and it seems to compile, but apache refuses to load it due
to some undefined symbol.

Given the relative shoddiness of this project, I'd rather go somewhere else
for my auth needs.  Does anyone know of an alternative to authenticate using
HTTP basic auth, controllable via .htacccess files, with login and passwd
info held in a MySQL database?  Has anyone gotten mod_auth_mysql to actually
work?  Am I gonna have to keep passwords in a seperate htpasswd file that
gets updated at the same time as the database?  Does mod_perl work with PHP
and MySQL yet so I can write my own friggin' auth handler?

Thanks.
--Danny