wacked out /etc/aliases problem

i won't get into all the gory details of this one (and they are nasty),
but i wanted to ping the group and see what ideas anyone had concerning
what could be causing this problem i am seeing.

i am running sendmail 8.9.3

in /etc/aliases, i have a number of recipients set up to be forwarded to
valid mailboxes. i have one valid destination that is giving me serious
headaches. case in point:

example:	foo, bar, charles

mail sent to example should be forwarded on to valid accounts foo, bar and
charles on the local machine. foo and bar both receive a copy of the mail.
charles does not. however:

another:	charles

in this situation, the valid account charles receives the mail being sent
to another@

it doesnt matter where 'charles' is positioned in the line of
destinations, the mail never reaches the valid inbox unless charles is the
only box the mail is forwarded to.

to recap :)

this:	charles, foo, bar 	# charles doesnt get mail
really:	foo, charles, bar	# charles doesnt get mail
sucks:	foo, bar, charles	# charles doesnt get mail
bad:	charles			# charles get the mail!

i have no idea what is going on here, and it is driving me crazy. it would
certainly seem like it has something to do with the 'charles' account.
i've removed the procmail rulessets governing mail for the account so that
the mail should have a straight shot and still nothing.

barring the suggestion that sendmail possibly went south for the winter
and has yet to return, anyone have any ideas?

thanks -charles