Re: retiring e-mail revisited

Previously Jay Link (jlink@ilbbs.com):

> > Ethical Question
> > ================
> > Q: Is it okay for me, the sender, to "expire" (that
> > is, "delete") this message from their /var/spool/mail
> > directory?

If you the 'sender' can delete it, then yes, its okay.
If you the 'system administrator of company equipment' doesn't
have policy against it, then its OK to delete it, but not very
bright if you want any of the users to respect you or your work.
My preference would be to send a short email out to people asking
them to do the right thing and delete it, and telling them why.
If they don't, follow up with a personal request.

> I'm sure you'll catch hell if you ever admit to it. Thus, my advice would
> be to not say anything, should you decide to prune.  If anyone brings it
> up, lie and say it "expired", as you said, just as though such a feature
> existed. (Of course, only sysadmins have that capability, etc.)

Its never okay to lie.

> The thing is, if you ever admit to altering someone's mailbox, then
> they'll blame YOU from here on out every time they f*ck up and delete
> something important. And there'll be all sorts of privacy issues, etc.

If you delete it and lie about what or why something happens, you will
be the #1 suspect (and should be), any time something odd happens to
the system.

> My respect of most users has gradually dwindled over the years. I used to
> be angry at AOL for insinuating that every technical problem was on the
> user's end (not that I ever used them, myself), but having run InterLink
> for a few years now, I see that it's very dangerous to admit fault. On the
> one hand, it's aggrevating when airlines & telcos & ISPs constantly gloss
> things over & outright lie, but on the other hand, that's what 90% of the
> "sheeple" want to hear.

If you aren't man enough to admit when you (or your system) screwed up,
don't expect any better of any of your users.

Mark