Re: retiring e-mail revisited

> Its never okay to lie.

> If you delete it and lie about what or why something happens, you will
> be the #1 suspect (and should be), any time something odd happens to
> the system.

Only if you get caught.

Let's not be naive here, Mark. The fact is -- and America Online realized
this years ago -- if you ever admit that you've got problems, your people
will turn on you and leave you for dog meat.

There's a story about a medieval Japanese commander who wore red to battle
so that his troops wouldn't see him bleed.

The point is, spin is everything, and, as Robert Threet (the originator of
this discussion) said to me, people "don't want the truth - they want
someone to make them feel warm and fuzzy."

> If you aren't man enough to admit when you (or your system) screwed up,
> don't expect any better of any of your users.

This has nothing to do with "being a man" and everything to do with
running a business.

Tell your friends the truth. Tell your users & business associates what
they want to hear.

The moment anyone ever says, "I appreciate your honesty", you know you're
doomed!

-JL