Re: retiring e-mail revisited

Whew!  Is it hot in here...?  :-)

For the record, I was never planning on lying.

As far as stories go, my first e-mail account was on
GEnie (circa 1991) and they always warned you that
mail was only held for a certain period of time before
being deleted - even if it was unread.  I guess AOL
does the same.  So I figured this practice was at
least known and [possibly] expected.

Compared to filtering spam, I think "expiring" your
own mail would be pretty benign.  I would think a
useless (due to the time critical nature of the
message) e-mail originated _by_ _me_ could be
"expired" or deleted _by_ _me_.  I mean, consider the
guy who finds out he had an e-mail that could've made
him a "millionaire in 6 weeks" but I "filtered" it.
:-)

I guess the problem is 80% of the "users" don't use
their account.  They use hotmail or yahoo or something
else so notifying them by e-mail to delete their
unwanted mail just compounds the problem.