Re: is this a scam?

I opt for scam. They even admit:

"We are making this possible initially by encouraging millions of users to
activate their Internet browsers to recognize New.net domain names and
partnering with leading Internet Service Providers to activate our domain
names automatically at the network level."

So, unless you modify named, you won't be able to get to these domains.