Re: apache compile

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 04:27:37PM -0500, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> Danny Sauer said:
> > I'm looking at SuSE's RPMs now, where both are built as DSOs.  I
> > could swear that I read somewhere about a problem with mod_perl
> > being built as a DSO.  Something about that not being a supported
> > combination or something.
>
> It definitely was a problem.  Recent versions of mod_perl are much
> better.

Trying tomorrow.

> > Anyway, is redhat better about keeping apache up to date?  SuSE's
> > current apache is 1.3.14.
>
> The current 7.1 package is 1.3.19.
>
> You should be able to drop the latest version in with the spec from
> any recent 1.3.x though...

So I assumed (but have yet to try).

[...]
> > If things keep going as they are, I'll end up with 2 seperate
> > apaches with mod_rewrite sending php stuff to the one on :1080...
>
> Or stick squid in front of the whole thing and call it a feature.

For the curious (mod_perl/apache on port 80, apache w/ php on 1080,
identical config files except for the port, php module, and these 3
lines in the port 80 version):

	RewriteEngine on
	RewriteRule ^/(.*\.php) http://www.teleologicinstitute.net:1080/$1 [P]
	ProxyPassReverse / http://www.teleologicinstitute.net:1080/

Bah.  That's terrible - but only from the server's point of view - the
users and developers have no idea... :)

SuSE's php4 doesn't want to load into their updated apache rpm, so I can't
comment on whether they've gotten mod_perl/php4 working together better
than I can.  The php3 module works fine, however, for those times that
I'd rather use on old piece of software that doesn't do what I need it to.

--Danny, who needs to fix this