CD stops working

Hi,
  The day before yesterday I had a nice advance in that I burned my first
CDS under Linux (making SUSE 7.1 for sparc cds which booted and installed
on an Ultra, YAY!) but now find that uses other than cdrecord (like
XPlaycd, or just mounting a data cd) no longer work. I think that it no
longer finds the cd device at all. This is an IDE CD-RW drive. Running the
command "cdrecord -scanbus" still correctly finds the drive, although it
is finding it through the scsi drivers. Could running cdrecord as root
have changed the settings for this device?

Erich