emacs guy needs vi hack

Arrrgh!  I removed emacs (due to drive space and
because I use pico most of the time) and now I need to
delete the first 7974 lines of an 11,526 line file
(boy, is my finger tired).  I have a unique word on
line 7974...  I tried tail -n 3552 <file> but it
didn't work.  Evidently, it can only go back so far...
 I know you can do this in vi but if it takes me much
longer to find out I may as well go back to hitting
"dd dd dd dd...".  :-)