How to make persistant ssl tcp tunnels with openssh

I used to have a direct smtp link between my mailserver and my workstation,
but now my workstation at school is firewalled, so I switched to pop3 over
SSL so I wouldn't have to transmit a plaintext password.

I open the SSL tunnel with:
# ssh -L 110:localhost:110 trillian.hafd.org

From my workstation (trillian is the name of the mail server). Then I have
fetchmail check for new mail every few minutes from cron.

My problem is that if I don't have that term open running ssh, the ssl tcp
tunnel is closed, so how do I make it so that the tunnel is always open?

--
Jordan Bettis <http://www.hafd.org/~jordanb>
In English every word can be verbed. Would that it were so in our programming