Re: Forwading Email Files to Users

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Aaron Cronkright wrote:

> Ok,  For those of you who have done some hardcore email administration with sendmail:
>
> I have 3 users at work who have recently married which resulted in a name change.  Rather than give them a new account and edit the aliases file to forward email from their old account, I just assigned them a new account.  Well, over time they have received email to their old account and their email files in /var/spool/mail are growing.  I need to take the emails from their old accounts and forward them to their new accounts.  Is there any way I can extract the emails from the old files in /var/spool/mail and forward them to different accounts?  If I can, I will set up aliases for these people since the /var/spool/mail files are getting rather large.

cat /var/spool/mail/user >> /var/spool/mail/newuser

I would do this after either creating the alias to forward user to
newuser, or put .forward in the user's ~ (if one exists).

Author, RHCE Exam Cram
Director of Exam Development            http://www.lpi.org/
Site Manager                            http://www.LinuxUsersGroups.org/