my computer is......

 Hi all !
  Gary thanx for your response. my computer is as follows:

asus A7V mobo
900 mhz Athlon thunderbird
viatech agp, usb, and ide controllers
promise ata100 controller
384 meg of ram
Maxtor 45 gig hard drive setup with 4,  8 gig partitions for windows and the rest is un partitioned for linux and the drive resides on the ata 100 connection
dvd rom on the primary ide connection as a master
8x4x32 cd burner setup on the secondary connection as a master
nvidia geforce 2 mx400 on a 4x agp slot
pci slot 3 has my Network Everywhere by linksys ethernet card
pci slot4 has my soundblaster live! value soundcard
i have no onboard sound so that and the audio modem riser are disabled in the bios
i have another usb card that plugs in to the motherboard (not a pci card it plugs in with wires) where pci slot 5 would be
logitech itouch keybored (wire type)
logitech mouseman usb wheelmouse ( this is hooked up thru usb as it seems to work better than with a usb /ps2 converter which i tried)
saitek 3d gold usb joystick ( my understanding is that this will work fine in linux but I have yet to get that far with it)
lexmark Z52 printer
canoscan n656u flatbed scanner (which definitely will not work at this time under linux)
EMC 996 19" monitor  I ran a fcc id check on this monitor and it seems to actually be manufactured by proview but I'm not sure of the corresponding proview model. This monitor has the vesa ddc standard.
Synch ranges are : 30-94khz horizontal    and    50-150khz vertical

When I installed Mandrake 8.1 I set it up to automatically go to X but on reboot the screen was at run level 3 and was flashing on and off then it stopped on console mode. I typed in the command startx and was greeted with an error message informing me it couldnt find my nvidia video card. Mandrake is aware of this problem and has a post about it on their website under 8.1 errata. I tried what they suggested for a fix for after installation to no avail ( whis was run depmod -a ). I then reinstalled the operating system taking their advice for the fix during installation which also failed. I think it may have something to do with my monitor as this is an el-cheapo monitor for sure.

   It sure is nice to know that folks close to home have a club and are willing to help newbie's like me out. I have a strong desire to learn and will not give up. Thanx for your help!

                                                                                           Mike