Re: rtsp

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 08:46:37AM -0600, charles@lunarmedia.net wrote:
> has anyone seen an rtsp daemon available for linux? the only one that i
> have managed to find is still under development by columbia university.
> the corporate alternative is the real networks product. really i am just
> looking to stream real video/mpeg3 files from the server. not really
> looking for anything spectacular like multicasting, just trying to use a
> proto that can take latency into account. if anyone has some experience
> handling this, i'd appreciate it.

What about the stuff listed at http://www.streamingserver.org/ or the links
in dmoz's rtsp section (perhaps dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/Protocols/RTSP/)?
There are several projects in the Implementations section, have you checked
those?

The free real server that I used a while back would suport connections from
a limited number of IPs.  It would serve any number of streams to those IPs,
though.  So, you could masquerade connections coming in for your real server
and redirect them to the "real" one, and it'd only see one IP.  Of course,
I obviously would never do that myself, and I don't think anyone else should
either - but it does actually work.  So I've heard.

--Danny, who uses shoutcast and forgets about video