Re: wireless

Danny Sauer wrote:
> So, I'm looking at pricewatch, trying to find a place to get cheap 802.11

From a recent St. Louis Wireless (www.stlwireless.net) post by Ben Hockenhull:
This guy, Charles Chia Sheng Wu <cwu@cwlab.com>, is selling Lucent RG-1000s
for $59.00 as part of some Lucent closeout/blowout sale.

I've purchased from him before and not had any problems.

At any rate, the RG-1000 is a home gateway product/802.11 access point from
Lucent with a Silver card installed.  Even if you only get the unit to grab
the Silver card out of it, it's a steal.

You can also purchase Karlnet firmware licenses for this unit to add
functionality to it, if you'd like, and I'm sure Charles can help you out
there as well.

Drawbacks: Requires a Windows-based PC to configure, far as I know, as the
config is SNMP based and there's no console port.

You can crack open the box and add an external antenna connector very very
easily, as the Silver card inside has the standard Lucent antenna connector
on it.

If you were waiting for a cheap access point, this is it.  Right now, my
stlwireless node is running on one of these, for what it's worth, and it's
been fine.

Mike808/
--
perl -le "$_='7284254074:0930970:H4012816';tr[0->][ BOPEN!SMUT];print"