booting problems

I'm trying to boot a machine from a floppy, but failing.  I've tried
several install disks, and only get
to show up.  It's always 2 periods, regardless of the image's actual
name (vmlinuz, linux, etc).  I've been able to figure out that the
periods are printed one at a time by the read_track function, but that
doesn't help much.  I tried pulling all of the hardware out of the box,
but this is apperently in the "reading of the kernel" stage.  I've used
multiple floppy disks, and have tried a different floppy drive.  I've
also disconnected the "b:" drive.  Still no help.

The machine boots from a 2.0 series kernel that was installed a long time
ago, but that's coming from the hard drive.  I'll try dd'ing the working
kernel to a floppy tonight, to see if that works, but I'm not holding
my breath.

This is on a 486 board (AMD 486DX4/120 with PCI and 2 IDE channels, oh yeah),
if that triggers any memories.

If anyone happens to have an idea as to what causes this, or if anyone knows
of a search engine that doesn't strip off the 2 periods so I can search for
stuff myself, lemme know. :)

Thanks,
Danny