Certification Testing

I have been interested in Linux certification since I have started working
with Linux about six months ago.  For the first time, I have had to set up
two servers, and the demand for Linux appears to be growing
(exponentially).  Setting up these machines was not an easy task when I
had no clue what I was doing.  However, after repetition by experimenting
at home, I am much more comfortable with the process.

I am sure there are many features that Linux has to offer that I am not
aware of, so I decided to work on certification.  I read the entire RHCE
book, performing all the labs, only to realize at the end that the
certification is only good for the current major release of Red Hat, and
the documentation that I have states that it takes 8 to 10 weeks to get
the results and certificate.  In 8 to 10 weeks, there might not even be a
Red Hat 7...  I dont know how close they are to the next release.

Would the General Linux certification be a better way to go?  I have been
trying to look at other alternatives, but I am not sure what companies
look for when looking for those who are Linux certified.   Do they even
look for certification?  Maybe they apply their own test to see if your
knowledge meets thier requirements?

Thanks!

Ricky Bryce