apache and sending mail through perl scripts...

i've been testing out upgrading my webserver to a new revision of apache,
1.3.22, and found a peculiar problem in the migration. both my current
webserver (a hack on apache) and 1.3.22 both run as the same user on the
system, however the new apache wont execute this code from within a perl
script....

sub send_mail {
   # Open The Mail Program
   open(MAIL,"|$mailprog -t");

   print MAIL qq|From: SERVER <me@lunarmedia.net>\n|;
   print MAIL "To: charles\@lunarmedia.net\n";
   print MAIL "Subject: Just a note...\n";

   print MAIL "\n\n";
   print MAIL "Thank you\n";

   close (MAIL);
}

the same code works well running the older version of apache being ran as
the same local user. the odd thing is that this is only a snippet of the
script, and the rest of it executes fine under both revisions. it just
seems to be the subroutine that calls the mail program.

any ideas on that one?

thanks! -c