Linux Internet Server Project

I want to put a secure server on the Internet so customers can access
remote monitoring data which our company collects on their behalf. I'm
looking advice on where to look for decent documentation on setting up
the system. The results from searching "Linux" topics is just a little
overwhelming.

In the past I've worked with various sorts of computers (Vax, Ultrix,
Linux (5+ years ago), Windows) and networking gear (modems, DEC
routers) so I'm not totally a fish out of water. Here's a little more
background on my goal to help with narrowing your recommendations...

- Low bandwidth requirements, there will probably never be more than
25 customers.

- The current ISP can provide the server location with a fixed IP
address, etc.

- The server will need to get data from a couple of other local
machines that are running Windows 98.

- We need to have a firewall to protect the Windows machines from the
outside world but the users (about 5 total) do need to get to the web,
receive email via the ISP, etc.

- I would like to be able to remotely administer the server.

- The only existing equipment to consider is the Win98 machines that
are presently using a small router/hub that attaches to a cable modem.

- There's not a "blank check" for the project but it is well funded.

Any advice on where to start? Opinions on which distribution to use?

Thanks,

Tim