Can you use NMAP to populate NetSaint?

Can you use NMAP to populate NetSaint?  I had heard that
you can use nmap to generate a "picture" of the devices on
your network.  For example, we have a really big Cisco
switch connected to a few smaller switches which are
connected to even smaller switches from which servers and
other devices are connected to.  I'd like a "map" showing
which switches and routers are used by each server so I can
draw an accurate status map.  Is this possible with nmap.
I've never seen it used fo much other than port scanning.