Re: Linux Internet Server Project

Tim,

I hope someone is watching this chat that can help out with the SQL part.
I am in West Virginia this week, so dont have access to all my
documentation.  I am pretty sure you can import data from the access
database without a problem.  It looks like the only issue left to resolve
then is how to configure VB to write to a MySQL database.  If you can get
the data into the MySQL, then pulling the data from MySQL and displaying
it on a web page should not be a problem.   You can use PHP for that.

Hopefully someone has used VB to write to MySQL before, and can give some
tips.  I dont think it would take much of a machine for the little amount
of data that you are wanting to acquire.   Just make sure the components
you purchase will work with the version of Linux you choose.  If you
decide to use RedHat, then during the installation, just make sure you set
up the firewall, and install MySQL, and PHP, and the PHP rpm which
contains the MySQL commands...  It is clearly labeled.  You will also want
to install the Apache server, and the OpenSSH server for your remote
adminstration.

I might be able to try connecting VB to a MySQL database tomorrow and see
what I come up with.  Maybe the MySQL site will have some good information
too.  It might take an extra component for VB to be able to use MySQL...
I have no idea.

I will work on it tomorrow and let you know what I find out.

Talk to you later.

Ricky