Re: up2date error message

Tim Grossner wrote:
> Anyone know what I need to do to resolve this dependancy error? I dont
> understand what is causing the problem...

Hmmm. Lets read the message you included.
> Testing package set / solving RPM inter-dependencies...
> There was a package dependency problem.  The message was:
> A package providing libpisock.so.4 could not be found.

Hey, maybe you need to install some RPM that contains this
"libpisock.so.4" thing. You think? :-)

On a more serious note, though, do a find on /lib and /usr/lib
for libpisock.so. Usually, ordinal numbers are attached to a shared
library's name to disambiguate versions. So as to avoid Linux being
afflicted with the equivalent of "DLL Hell" that afflicts other popular
commercial OSes that people wasted good money on.

Do an 'ident' on your libpisock.so. See if it is version "4", maybe.
If it is a higher version, then this RPM is looking for an older version
that you don't have.

See if you can find the canonical source for this module and get an
RPM of just that library or package that contains that version.
Install it, and then re-install the newer version. You should have
the older library still on your system, then, and with the right
extension.

As a quick try, you can create a symbolic link between libpisock.so
and libpisock.so.4 so that when you retry the RPM installation, it
will locate this library - it will be the current version, so hopefully
they haven't changed the APIs too much.

Good luck.

Mike808/
--
perl -le "$_='7284254074:0930970:H4012816';tr[0->][ BOPEN!SMUT];print"