Re: Proc shows mounted, but act like it isn't

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:11:03 -0600, Blunier, Mark wrote:

>> Ummm yeah... this is a problem that was covered a few weeks back.
>> Basically they never figured out what was happeneing or why it was
>
>rm -rf /proc
>mkdir /proc
>
>Seemed to fix the problem.  I switched from ext2 to a reiserfs.
>To make the switch, I copied the ext2 filesystem to the reiserfs
>filesystem.  In doing so, a static copy of /proc was copied to
>the mount point.

I had this problem here's the details cut from earlier mail:

The upshot is that if /proc/1/ exists(the /proc directory for PID 1,
aka
/sbin/init), it won't get mounted. This is because /proc is generally
mounted by /etc/init.d/checkroot.s; which tests for /proc/1/ before
running 'mount -n /proc'. I don't know what kind of effects having
/proc
mounted on-top of another /proc would have, but I imagine it could be
bad. And, at any rate, it's stupid to have that :) So the check is
reasonable.

--
Richard A. Smith                         Bitworks, Inc.
rsmith@bitworks.com               501.846.5777 x204