Re: backups

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 08:55:41PM -0600, Kara Pritchard wrote:
> A year ago, we could build 1/2 TERABYTE for under $3500.

I seem to recall that we were charging twice that actually, but that
was for a *really* beefy box.  (Dual near-1GHz CPUs, a GB of RAM, big
monster server case with hot-swap power supplies, stuff like that.)
Actual total storage was over 800GB, usable (with RAID5) was more like
600-700GB, depending on how you set things up.

Right now, somewhere around $7k would probably get you a near-2GHz
dual Athlon with a bit over 1.3TB (around 1TB or so usable with RAID).
That's a guess, not a quote, but I'd be happy to whip up a quote for
anybody who wants one.  ;-)

Of course, that's all doing hardware RAID on 3ware cards...