Re: rsync usage

On Sat, 2002-03-16 at 21:15, Charles Menzes wrote:
> just want to get a second set of eyes on my understanding of rsync. the
> man page implies that unless you use -I rsync will skip a file if its
> length and timestamp are the same on the remote end as the sending end.
>
> that being said, in theory, the following will allow a local directory to
> be kept up to date mirroring any new files, and removing any deleted
> files. and no transfer will occur if no files have changed since the last
> run...
>
>   rsync -a --delete
>
> seems like a pretty short and sweet command line, but i think i'm
> understanding it correctly and it does what i describe. sound right?

It's even better than that.

If you have a 500K text file and you change the spelling of one word in
the middle, rsync will only send a few K over the network instead of the
whole document; essentially, it will pick out the one change made and
only send that.  It's more complicated than that, of course, but that's
the high-level view.

Imagine downloading new ISO images over dialup in half an hour with
rsync.  I've done it.

Unfortunately, rsync puts a heavy load on the server, so you have to be
careful.  There's a patch floating around that moves that load to the
client, but it's illegal because of a patent held by Symantec.