Re: Apt---

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 01:28:18PM -0600, Erich Schroeder wrote:
> I found after the upgrade that it wouldn't boot up (just showed LI and
> froze), but booting from the skipjack disk into rescue alowed me to rerun
> lilo and then it worked.

If you want to eliminate problems like that, do this:

    apt-get install grub # should already be installed, but it can't hurt
    grub-install '(hd0)'

At this point, if you reboot you'll get a grub prompt.  Don't reboot,
unless you want to learn the hard way how to use the grub command
line.  :-)

Now create a file /boot/grub/grub.conf that looks like this:

timeout=3
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
default=0
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.9-31)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.9-31 ro root=/dev/hda2

If you don't have a separate /boot filesystem, this won't work as-is.

Be sure to edit the root= line appropriately.  At that point, a reboot
should give you the familiar grub splash screen.