Re: (anything but) forcing an rcs initial checkin

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Danny Sauer wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 02:50:35PM -0600, Erich Schroeder wrote:
> > We have the ability to do H.323 (as well as over ISDN), and will be
> > learning more about it in the next couple of months. As the meeting room
> > is now, it would be mighty echo-y but this summer we have a project to
> > improve the acoustic qualities of the room.
>
> Make it look nicer than our new recording booth - a closet with that
> egg-crate foam stuff for beds stapled to all the walls and ceiling.
> It works OK in a small room, but a giant pink room would be a bit
> disconcerting. :)

It'll look better. I'm not that familiar with what will be done, but the
color scheme will be like the techcenter (behind the usually locked door).
There will be some sound-deadening panels put on the wall and between
the lights, and some changes in the lights too.

> I think that webcasting the luci meetings would be darned neat, though.
> I'd be able to make it to more of them, then!  Even a shoutcast stream
> would be marginally handy, though the spectacular visual aids would be
> lost then...  Maybe shoutcast with a view-only vnc session on a host
> machine?

That would be neat. Perhaps there could even be some coordination among
Silug and others so meetings could be on the same night and presentations
could be shared. Something for the future.

> > I'd be glad to try Gnomemeeting sometime, although we should be ready for
> > problems 'cause they always happen, even at NCSA.
>
> I only mentioned that one because the web site was handy (and it uses
> multicasting) - but then, I forgot to paste the URL in.  Doh...  Now
> the site's not working for me, so I can't get the URL.  Oh well.

We might be able to do multicasting in the future, but not yet.

eks

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/