Problems with iptables...

Hello all,

Well, I think it is time to admit defeat and post my problem to the list...

I have just upgraded my gateway box to RH7.2 (1 day after 7.3 was released) and
I have decided to use my old ipchains firewall rules which work great due to
the ipchains module to allow compatibility.

The problem I have is that I need to forward some tcp ports to internal
machines but I can't because the ipmasqadm utility doesn't work.  So, I try to
move on to iptables with SNAT and DNAT and the like.  This is where I have a
problem.  Iptables doesn't work at all!  Here is an example of the error
messages I get when I try to run iptables:  (either via script or cmd line)

*begin error*

/lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: init_module:
Device or resource busy
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
invalid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o:
insmod /lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o: insmod ip_tables
failed
iptables v1.2.3: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who? (do
you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

*end error*

This output was generated with #iptables -L but it is the same for any other
variation of cmd line input.

The box is a fresh "server class" install of RH7.2.  No 'custom kernel' is
used, just the one installed from the cd.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Aaron Cronkright
aaron@cronkright.com