Re: Console lockout

On Fri, 2002-07-12 at 08:13, Blunier, Mark wrote:
> > USB keyboards rock, by the way.  I highly recommend them.  I use very
> > few round-plug keyboards any more.
>
> Why do you like them better?

Several reasons:

 - Hotplug.  Technically, you aren't supposed to hotplug regular
keyboards (you can damage the mobo), and some systems turn off the
keyboard controller if a keyboard isn't present at boot time.  With USB,
you have none of those issues.  This is especially nice for servers,
which don't need a keyboard all the time.

 - USB hubs.  You don't (necessarily) have to reach back behind your box
to plug in a keyboard.  Also, many USB keyboards have passive hubs built
into them, so you can plug your USB mouse into your keyboard (just like
old Apple Desktop Bus).  If you have a laptop, you can plug all your USB
devices into a hub for your home setup, and "dock" your laptop with one
cable.

 - Portability.  I can take my current favorite keyboard and use it on a
Mac, Itanium, Sparc, etc. when I need to.

 - You don't run into the problem of plugging the keyboard into the
mouse port or vice versa; there's only one type of port which takes
anything.

 - No delicate pins to bend.