Re: Playing DVDs with Xine

On Mon, 2002-07-29 at 11:06, Danny Sauer wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 08:28:23PM -0500, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 03:52:02PM -0500, mike808 wrote:
> > > Anyone *actually* played DVDs under Linux?
> >
> > All the time.  Uncomment the freshrpms line from /etc/apt/sources.list
> > and "apt-get update && apt-get install ogle ogle_gui".
> >
> > For that matter, if you "apt-get install xine", the freshrpms version
> > might even play DVDs.  It isn't likely to support all the menus and
> > such like ogle does though.
>
> Yes, ogle works real nice-like.  I had an easier time building from
> source, though, as I've been too lazy to get apt installed.  The build
> from source method ensures that you've got all the libraries that you'd
> need installed, too. ;)

I should also point out that Debian includes ogle, and it works well.
"apt-get install ogle-gui" should do the trick.  If you're on a recent
i386 system, you might also be interested in doing "apt-get install
ogle-mmx", which replaces the generically compiled ogle runtime with an
MMX-optimized one.

The package even includes a script that will download and install the
proper CSS decryption code from the net for you.