Re: LUCI: 7/23/2002 meeting *cancelled*

I don't intend this message to be flame-bait. I have
some questions, a little confusion, and an opinion on
an issue; this is not a personal attack. Only reason
I'm posting it to the group and not addressing Steve
off-list is that I feel this worthy of a small bit of
discussion. No harm intended, please. (Does it sound
like I know what it feels like to be a victim???)

<ISSUE>
This has been like a splinter that I just can't get
out, and every time I think about it, it nags at me,
bothering me, digging away, getting inflamed more and
more. Time to get the old sewing needle out, sterilize
it, and get this thing out (off my chest...).

Why would the meeting need be cancelled? Are there no
others that would be willing to take up the reins?
Rather than asking for volunteers, Steve, as you've
done in the past, why did you eliminate the
possibility of having a meeting at all last month with
your announcement? I am sure if you would've
approached this differently and asked if anyone would
volunteer a subject and run the meeting (you know
Erich will make sure the facilities are in order).
Even Erich himself could've done a whole meeting on
some aspect of his stuff there at the Museum. This
past month, there have been some IPCHAINS and WIRELESS
networking issues that have been discussed on the mail
list, playing with Remote Admin stuff, Security stuff,
distro stuff, whatever - one of those folks could've
donated a little time to discuss what they did to
resolve their issue. I don't know... It seems to me
that you didn't consider something other than calling
the entire meeting off. I could be wrong. I didn't see
anything on the mailing list other than your
annoncement calling the whole thing off. But, you
didn't even ask... I do know I felt a bit miffed that
you simply called the meeting off without a discussion
- as if there wouldn't be other options.

I understand that it is summertime and as a general
rule, there is a substantial drop in attendance and
such during this time of year. I also understand that
there would probably be NO user group without Steve
and his 'almost' regular leadership. Furthermore, I
realize, LUCI is a very loose interpretation of what
is a REAL User Group - we have no formal structure, no
formal charter, no elections, nothing official. But,
if it sounds, acts and feels like a duck... Isn't the
whole premise of a 'User Group' being one that is "by
the User, for the User, and of the User?"

Maybe I've had too much coffee recently and am lost
somewhere out in left field running around aimlessly,
getting too much sun...

OK.... End of opinion...
</ISSUE>

  --Joe