TONIGHT'S meeting (was Re: tomorrow's meeting)

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 11:08:12AM -0500, Erich Schroeder wrote:
> > It would be interesting to talk about how "apt-able"
> > cdroms are made (like those available from:
> >
> > http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/apt.html
>
> You know, if I knew, I'd be happy to tell you.  ;-)

Well, it would be interesting to look into sometime. I can say from
experience that having the updates on apt-able cdrom makes a new install
much, much faster, even with a pretty good network connection. Almost
makes me want to try conectiva.

> Seriously, I haven't figured out that much about apt yet, but I'm
> getting there.  I've been experimenting with apt-cache lately.  I can
> show off a few tricks with it tonight.
>
> > and I know that our SUSE users would be interested in hearing if there are
> > apt repositories available/possible for them.
>
> That would be interesting.  Mandrake too.  When I get the rest of the
> RAID array up, I'll have to see about making apt repositories for that
> sort of thing.

Sounds great.

> BTW, speaking of the RAID...
>
> Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/md0             240394176 121175056 119219120  51% /home/silug/ftp/mirrors
>
> That's with 6 of the 12 drives in a RAID5 array.  I've consolidated
> pretty much everything I've been mirroring onto that, and until I
> started adding new stuff, I was still at less than 50%.  :-)
>
> One of the new things I added was a mirror of freshrpms.net.  I don't
> have it added to the apt repository though yet.  Soon though.  Very
> soon.

I saw that. Also saw that rawhide is available to apt.

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/