Let's talk about upgrading...

A friend has what he thinks is an ol' RH6.2 system
he's been using as a generic file-server running Samba
for his kids. He has transferred the files from one
Hard-Drive to elsewhere and would like to use this
system for storing MP3's, Documents, Pictures and
other odds and ends. He's upgraded some hardware stuff
but would like to upgrade to latest kernel, etc.

Question, how do I check what RH version is installed?
I always wondered about that, never really cared much
since my systems never stay pristine anyhoo...

Since RH has changed so much since the RH 6.2 days,
what would the recommended upgrade path be. hmmm... I
noticed that this dude also doesn't have any sort of C
compiler nor MAKE on his machine (how is this
possible???). Just tried to show him how to download,
unzip an MP3 player tarball - this turned into a
directory where I found out MAKE doesn't exist on his
system... so I go and get the latest MAKE and find I
can't even compile since there is no C, BCC,
nothing... Just BASH. Now, I am intrigued and since
it's been years working at this low level, I've gotten
quite rusty... How would I go about making sure that
there is a way, short of the nasty start-from-scratch
with the latest CD, to upgrade this machine?
Interestingly enough, his X works fine, but RPM
doesn't seem to want to install stuff either (gets a
message that only packages with major numbers <= 3 are
supported - and the file is the latest
xmms-1.2.7-1)...

Perhaps, I'm just losing touch with reality and my
root...