Re: Let's talk about upgrading...

RedHat does a pretty good job of upgrading, even over multiple releases.
If he has files that he wants to save, then he should probably back them
up, although this will be less of a danger if they are in /home and /home
is a separate partition.

Does the machine have enough space in the partitions for some growth?

If that is the case, I would just try booting from a recent RH install
disk and choosing upgrade. Don't add any packages at this time, I suggest,
to make sure that there is enough space for the new version. The upgrade
may be quite graceful.

Erich

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Joe Newbie wrote:

> Whoa!...
>
> $ cat /etc/redhat-release
> Red Hat Linux release 6.0 (Hedwig)
>
> OK... If this were one of y'all, what should I do with
> this puppy. There's files on here that this guy don't
> want trashed, so going for the easy route and doing a
> wipe and clean install is out (my usual method...).
> Besides, it's a good challenge.
>
> Remember, can't compile anything, either...
>
> Though, until I mess with the networking stuff or
> other things, I can download stuff to my heart's
> content, it's the installing of stuff that's going to
> be a tricky thing. At least, going the route of using
> the kernel as is... Perhaps, one of those disk boots
> that I remember reading about could work...
>
> Someone lead me a little...
>
> (oh yeah)  Please...
>
> --- Charles Menzes <charles@lunarmedia.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Question, how do I check what RH version is
> > installed?
> > > I always wondered about that, never really cared
> > much
> > > since my systems never stay pristine anyhoo...
> > >

> > 	cat /etc/redhat-release
> >

> > -
> > To unsubscribe, send email to majordomo@luci.org
> > with
> > "unsubscribe luci-discuss" in the body.

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/