Re: Gnome Desktop Question

On Mon, 2002-09-23 at 21:48, Tim McDonough wrote:
> How do you put an icon on the Gnome desktop that will execute an application when double-clicked?
>
> Red Hat 7.3 system and Gnome if it makes a difference. When an application or a link is on the desktop and it's double-clicked it doesn't run, instead a dialog pops up and asks if you want to open it or view it. I'm new to most of this and I'm sure I've overlooked something really simple.

You need to create a menu item or panel launcher first.  Once you have
one of those and it does what you want, drag and drop it onto the
desktop.  Existing menu entries work perfectly for this purpose if
you've already got one.  If not, right-click on a panel and select Panel
-> Add to panel -> Launcher for the first step.  Once the launcher is on
the desktop, you can get rid of the one on the panel.  (Or you can just
leave the launcher on the panel, if that's more aesthetically pleasing
to you.)

This is part of that "more secure than Windows" thing you keep hearing
about.  On Windows, there's really only one kind of a link, and it does
the same thing whether it points to a program or a document: runs it
blindly.  On GNOME and KDE, application links are different from
document links, so they're treated differently.  You're probably causing
GNOME to think your program is a document, and it's making sure it
understands what you want to do when you click the link.

Confirmed with GNOME from Debian testing (1.4.x), with Nautilus as the
desktop manager.