UUCP (was Re: Distros (byte-ranging))

I recently saw a really good use of UUCP...  Somebody with a Unix box
of some sort (SCO or Linux) in their stores, with stores scattered
across various states, was using UUCP to transfer files around over
modem connections.  It was cool because UUCP would handle dialing, do
whatever needed to be done, and disconnect.  Most phone calls took
just a few seconds that way.

They told me that they testing using PPP and doing everything over
TCP, but apparently the extra negotiation combined with the overhead
of doing everything over TCP made even the shortest call over a
minute.

So apparently UUCP is still fairly well suited for what it was
designed for...