Re: RedHat for XFS

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 09:08:09AM -0600, Erich Schroeder wrote:
>   I just noticed (and are now grabbing) the iso for the SGI-based
> installer for RedHat that will install onto an XFS filesystem.

Are you grabbing it from our ftp site?  I've been mirroring the XFS
stuff for a year and a half or so...

> Have you (or anyone else) used it?

I haven't used the installer.  I used XFS for a while quite some time
back.  At the time, the kernel was having some pretty bad VM issues,
and XFS just seemed to magnify the problems.  I'm sure it is much
better now.

> Does RH 8 then understand the filesystem on an upgrade as it does with
> Reiserfs?

I'm not sure.  I don't see an xfs.o in the kernel-BOOT package, so
probably not.  It might not matter though...  Since XFS is in the
2.5.x kernels, I'm sure Red Hat will have support for it sometime
relatively soon.  In the mean time, SGI has been releasing these
modified Red Hat images since 7.1, so there's no reason to think
they'll stop any time soon...