Misc. Help

Hello all -

I just switched from Windows to Mandrake Linux about 6 months ago.  I
was very pleased, but ran into trouble here and there, and to make a
long story short - I'm now using SuSE 8.0 (after a brief stint trying to
figure out how to install Debian 3.0....).  Anyway, I'm having a
few...just a few...problems with hardware in SuSE, and after being told
to read the **fine** manual a couple of times, I figured I might wanna
try my local LUG.  Any help that can be given would be great, but if
not, that's cool too.  Thanks.

1.)  I have an HP Desktjet 820 Printer, and I'm using CUPS.  The CUPS
Daemon is started, the printer is on, and all the neccessary connections
are connected and configured, but still the printer won't print.  It's
detected under CUPS - "Alpha_Printer."  I had problems with CUPS and my
printer on a previous SuSE install - but the CUPS Daemon wouldn't even
start that time - so I guess now I'm making progress.  :-)

2.)  I have an old 3dfx Voodoo3 video card.  And I'm pretty sure that
I'm using X4 for display.  SuSE has it's own tools to configure much of
the hardware, and the video card isn't an exception.  For X4, it uses
SaX2, and just SaX for X3.  But it doesn't seem that those tools are
quite doing the trick.

3.)  I have a Windows partition on a separate hard drive to play games
and the like.  For some incredibly odd reason, the speakers that I have
work on Windows, but not on Linux.  Sounds like a simple fix - just
start the sound service - but it is started, and is working quite
properly; making sounds, at least, when my headphones are plugged in.
This is where I'm very confused - we know that the speakers themselves
work - the subwoofer tends to rattle my mom's fine china whenever I
start Windows up.  But at the same time, we know that sound itself in
Linux works.  It can't be a driver issue - that's not the way speakers
work, but at the same time, that's the only other option.

Thanks for all of your help.  If there is anything I can do like send a
couple of logs, or sample output, I would be happy to - if you could
walk me through how to do it in the first place...LOL - I'm still very
much a newbie.  Thanks again for all of your help and patience.

Kris Kerwin