Re: make install modifying

On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 10:01, Danny Sauer wrote:
> Is there some documentation on that whole autotools system?  Mozilla's
> crashed the last two times I've searched for "autotools" with google,
> so I'm thinking that it might have something against lettign me learn. :)

Hmm.  Galeon seems to not mind searching for "autoconf" on Google.

Anyway, the three autotools (automake, libtool, and autoconf) each have
manuals in texinfo, so "info [automake,libtool,autoconf]" should work
generally.  (On Debian, "apt-get install libtool-doc" first.)  They're
also on http://www.gnu.org/manual/.

There's also a New Riders book written by a few of the authors of the
autotools.  It's available online as well at:

  http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/

(Except, for some reason, I can't pull it up right now.)

If you write code, the autotools are generally invaluable.  (I'm not
convinced of automake's usefulness, but then again I don't mind writing
makefile rules.)