Re: backup mail server

All you should have to do is make sure that the domain has been set up
in /etc/mail/relay-domains on mail2.foo.bar.  When mail1 is unavailable
mail will be sent to mail2 where it is queued until mail1 comes back
online.

If I remember correctly this should be all you have to do along with the
MX.  For more information check out the sendmail site at
http://www.sendmail.org.

On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 16:41, Marcelo Medici wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm working on creating a backup mail server that will simply hold mail
> until the primary server comes online. Both the primary and secondary will
> have permanent internet connnections, however I'd like the secondary just
> to act as the failsafe should the primary every go down for a period of
> time.
> I know that I can configure MX records for each
>
> @	IN	MX 2 mail1.foo.bar.
> 	IN	MX 4 mail2.foo.bar.
>
> But I am more concerning about the configuration on the mail2 box. I am
> using sendmail as my transport. It seems that just leaving the MX records
> the way they are will cause mail2 to expect to deliver mail received
> locally for its domain. What needs to be configured to force the machine
> to forward mail on, once mail1 is back online so that it may then deliver
> the mail locally?
>
> Thanks,
> Marcelo Medici

Todd Davis (tdavis@msfw.com)
Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE #807101281603181)