Re: [boback@socket.net: [tslug] Re: Video Card Advice]

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 08:41:20PM -0600, Benjamin Story wrote:
[ Somebody else said: ]
> I have an ATI 7000 Radeon that worked fine in Mandrake 8.x but I recently
> switched to Suse 8.0 and the ATI doesn't work well at all. I am looking at
> getting a GeForce 4 4200 or 4400 to replace the ATI.
[...]
> > >I'm finally getting ready to ditch my old Voodoo3 card for something
> > >with a little more oomph.  I've been debating between one of the
> > >Matrox dual head cards and the GForce cards.  Any war stories with the
> > >newer video cards under Linux?

*Please* don't give NVidia any of your money.  There are no
open-source drivers for their cards, so you are *totally* at their
mercy to fix bugs and make updates.  Worse, since their drivers play
with kernel code, you are risking the stability of your entire system
on them.

I personally like ATI.  They have fast cards, and they have supported
DRI development in the past.  They do put out a closed-source driver
for their newer, higher-end cards, but the open-source drivers are
usable, so you actually have a choice.  I'm currently using a Radeon
8500LE with a rawhide kernel and some test XFree86 pre-4.3 CVS rpms
from people.redhat.com/mharris/, and it works pretty well.  (RTCW
plays quite nicely.)

Yesterday I saw someone has Radeon 8500LE cards listed at something
like $65 on pricewatch.com.