Re: Can't do setuid

> not allowing me to run a few scripts as setuid root.

In general *nix systems, all shell scripts are denied setuid
and setgid abilities. It's too easy to edit them to do nasty things.

> I'm running a 7.3 RH machine. Is there an easy way to fix this? Something
> that can or cannot be edited in the kernel config and recompiled?

Yes. Use "sudo" and actually *be* root when you run them.
Much easier to manage and control *who* gets to run thes magical scripts.

This is often done to allow non-root users to stop/start webservers
and stuff that needs to be root to use ports <1024.

Mike808/